Everyone seems to be making Mexican food right now and during lockdown, when everyone had their whole weekends at home, there was more than a few pulled pork tacos being made. But not everyone has time to cook meat for four hours, so we came up with this rotisserie chicken enchilada recipe instead! Using the pre cooked chicken gives you a delicious meal in a fraction of the time. This recipe uses a guacamole to serve but our Avocado Salsa is just as delicious on the side!
The key will be finding the salsa verde (green tomatillo salsa), most supermarkets stock it these days, but you might have to check before you commit to the meal! If the pre-made salsa verde isn’t there, sometimes there is canned tomatillos, so we included a quick recipe for making your own.
Serves 4 – 6
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- About 12 small corn tortillas
- 1 cup grated cheese
- Sour cream
- Handful of coriander
- 1 Jar Premade salsa verde
- Rice (to serve, optional)
- Lettuce (to serve, optional)
Salsa Verde (if you can’t find pre-made)
- Can of tomatillos
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 chilli
- 2 BayFarms avocados
- 1 red onion
- 1 lemon
- Break down and shred your rotisserie chicken.
- If you have to make the salsa verde, blend the can of drained tomatillos with a chopped onion, 3 cloves of garlic and a chilli (to taste).
- Lightly oil a casserole dish to stop the tortillas from sticking. Test out which is the best way to fit the rolled up tortillas in the dish.
- In a pan heat a dash of oil. Gently heat a tortilla on both sides, softening it up and getting a bit of oil on it. Put the tortilla on a plate and spread a big tablespoon of salsa verde on it and a forkful of shredded chicken. Roll the tortilla up and place in the casserole dish with the seam side down. Continue with more tortillas until you have filled up the dish.
- Pour the remaining salsa verde over the top of the enchiladas, add a couple of dollops of sour cream and top with the grated cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 20 min until the top is golden brown.
- While the enchiladas are baking you can prepare some rice, shredded lettuce and guacamole to serve on the side.